Thursday, July 5, 2012

Deep Dark Secret

It is no secret that Daniel is cute.  He is smiley.  Daniel is a good eater.  He is generally a very good natured baby. 

Our secret is that Daniel is not sleeping through the night.  And I have to say it...I stronglly dislike people who have babies who sleep through the night on their own because I am at a loss on how to get this one to sleep through the night.

We have been working on sleeping through the night in a serious way for the past few weeks.  But, it never fails, at between 3 and 3:30 AM he decides to wake up, and then sometimes he wakes up again at 4 and then at 5 (when I finally feed him).  He hasn't been fed overnight for several weeks but that has not twarted his attempts at night time attention.

I feel like I should have this figured out by now. He is my third son.  He, however, is not like his brothers who needed just one night of crying for 10-15 minutes.  No, Daniel, cries for an hour before Chris or I break down and go give him his pacifier and a pat to let him know we still love him.  The bags under my eyes and the ecezema breakout on my hand attest to the stress I am feeling.  We have a couple weekends of trips coming up and sleeping for more than 5 hours would be so refreshing.

He is really cute though....see...


3 comments:

Barb said...

Oh he is so beautiful!! I remember feeling like a "failure" when my last baby wasn't sleeping through the night. You know,though, I decided it really didn't matter. He wouldn't be a baby for long, I just decided to enjoy the middle of the night time we had together and catch up on sleep when he grew up. (another dark secret, you'll get less sleep when they are teens)
love you all lots

Sara said...

I heart Daniel! And you, too. You don't have bags at all. :-)

Anonymous said...

What time does he go to bed at night? I kept waiting for Grier to sleep through the night like my others did too. Finally, I realized it wasn't worth the trouble. As long as all she wanted was a quick feed, I figured she'd sleep through the night eventually. It was way less exhausting to nurse her quick at 3 or 3:30 and go right back to bed for the rest of the night. Would Daniel sleep until a normal hour if you just nursed him the first time he woke up? Maybe keep a journal of the times and dates he keeps you up and payback can be sweet when he's a teenager or a college man and you start waking him up at the exact same times, just for some middle of the night attention. :) Annie